612 W Bay St, Tampa, FL 33606

How You Can Lose Your Legal Rights by Letting Too Much Time Elapse

Have you suffered injuries due to another person’s negligence? Are you involved in an ongoing civil dispute over funds or property? Are you considering taking legal action to obtain justice?

If so, then it is important that you understand the necessity for prompt action. In the state of Florida, there are very specific statutes that limit how long victims have to make a claim. If you wait too long, you can lose your legal rights, which often means that you’ll be left without legal recourse.

What Is the Statute of Limitations?

The “statute of limitations” is the popular term used to describe specific state statutes that set limits on taking legal action. In Florida, there is a separate statute of limitations for criminal and civil incidents.

FSS Chapter 775 governs time limitations for criminal offenses. Prosecution for penalties must be commenced within the specified time frame. For example, if someone commits a third-degree felony, the state must file charges within three years. After that time, the person cannot be charged for the offense.

Civil suit filing limitations are governed under FSS Chapter 95. This chapter addresses everything from recovering real property to taking civil action for negligence. Specifically, any suit regarding the negligence of another must be initiated within four years of the incident. 

However, the law is extremely complex and includes various exigencies that may influence your ability to take legal action.

When Should I Seek Representation?

If you want to preserve your legal rights, it is best to seek representation as soon as possible. A skilled attorney can assess the merits of your case and help you decide how to proceed. Do not delay and risk losing out on your right to compensation.

If you have been involved in an accident or suffered from an injury due to someone else’s negligence, The Shrader Law Firm is here to help. We provide free consultations and can help you to obtain justice. Contact us today to book your appointment.

Posted in Uncategorized