612 W Bay St, Tampa, FL 33606

Injured in an Out-of-State Car Accident?

A car accident can happen anywhere at any time with any driver, but some cases can be more complicated than others. Therefore, if you’re injured in a car accident while you’re outside of the Sunshine State — or if you’re injured by an out-of-state driver — it’s best to seek help from a local car accident lawyer. 

If You’re Injured in an Accident While Out of State

Keep in mind that if you’re injured in an accident while out of state, your insurance can still protect you. Still, it’s important to determine how fault works in the state where you’re injured. 

If you’re in a no-fault state, like Florida, you can file a claim with your own insurance company for compensation. However, if you’re in a fault state, and the other driver was at fault, you may have the opportunity to file a third-party insurance claim with their insurer.

Should you need to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver, the laws of the state where the collision occurred would rule. 

If You’re Injured by Someone Who Is From Out of State

Accidents with out-of-state drivers occur frequently, especially because of the millions of tourists that visit Florida every year.

If you’re injured by a driver from out of state, you can begin by filing a claim with your own auto insurer. Then, you could contact the at-fault driver’s insurance company to report the accident and obtain further information.

Should you need to file a personal injury lawsuit against the out-of-state driver, you would file your claim in a Florida court. Under the law, the at-fault driver would consent to appear in a Florida court for their case.

Consulting With a Lawyer Should Be a Top Priority

Whether you’re injured while out of state or are injured by an out-of-state driver, it’s vital to seek qualified guidance from a car accident attorney. Out-of-state accidents can be particularly challenging to navigate, but a skilled Tampa lawyer has the experience and resources to handle your claim.

Call Shrader Mendez & O’Connell at 813-360-1529 or reach out online to request your consultation today. 

Posted in Car Accident