612 W Bay St, Tampa, FL 33606

Can You Go to Jail for Speeding in Florida?

Florida’s law enforcement officials write hundreds of thousands of speeding tickets across the state each year. Some tickets are noncriminal traffic infractions, such as running a stop sign, using the HOV lane without a second person in the vehicle, or driving less than 30 miles per hour over the posted speed limit. 

Noncriminal traffic infractions can result in fines and points on your driver’s license. Repeat offenders could see their insurance rates increase or have their license suspended. While it may be rare for traffic offenses to result in jail time, there is a point at which speeding in Florida becomes a criminal act.

Criminal Speeding in Florida

The state of Florida has specific definitions for speeding as a criminal offense:

  • Traffic Misdemeanor: Driving 30 or more miles over the speed limit
  • Felony Traffic Violation: Driving 50 or more miles over the speed limit

Fines for a misdemeanor are generally a few hundred dollars but can be higher for going too fast in a school or work zone. Felony speeding offenses result in heftier fines of $1,000 or more. You may also have your license suspended for a year if you become a repeat offender.

When You May Get Arrested for Speeding

A third felonious offense is where a judge may consider jail time. Along with a $5,000 fine and license revocation of up to 10 years, you may spend up to five years in jail or on probation. 

In addition, you should know that you can face jail time if a law enforcement officer cites you for reckless driving. 

Florida’s law defines reckless driving as driving in a way that displays “willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.” Your first reckless driving charge can result in up to 90 days in jail. You may go to jail for up to five years if your reckless driving caused very serious or long-term injuries or death. 

Addressing Speeding Charges with an Attorney

Speeding tickets and reckless driving charges should always be addressed with the assistance of a legal expert. Call (813) 360-1529 to get in touch with Shrader, Mendez & O’Connell, Attorneys at Law, and get help keeping your record as clean as possible.

Posted in DUI